Created: Thursday, 01 June 2017 14:59
Written by FRFI
Fight Racism! Fight Imperialism! 257 May/June 2017 Election Special
‘[The] figures prove that last year we deported someone every eight minutes – and we got our priorities straight.’ – Liam Byrne, Labour Immigration Minister, 2008
When last in government, between 1997 and 2010, Labour:
• Passed six repressive immigration acts;
• Introduced a Points Based System for non-EU migrants, with differential rights that privileged largely white migrants from other imperialist countries;
• Exploited migrant labour from Eastern Europe, placing restrictions on access to benefits and on where migrants could work;
• Created a forced dispersal system for asylum seekers, often housing them in appalling conditions, removing their right to work and placing them on a separate welfare system with poverty level benefits;
• Expanded immigration detention to over 3,000 places;
• Deported tens of thousands of people, many to war zones that were the direct result of British interventions, including Iraq and Afghanistan.
Read more ...